What Makes Harpist Julia Somerville Special?
- Romantic Music Performed on Elegant, ebony and gold concert harp
- Compositions by Commission, creating a unique tribute to a special occasion
- Beautiful Songs in Varying Styles, performed by a singer with an entrancing voice
- Vibrant, Contemporary Music, haunting, traditional airs, popular favourites or jazz, performed on the celtic (small, Scottish) harp
- An Immensely Versatile Musician, offering concert harp, clarsach and voice, in a range of styles to suit all tastes
As a harpist, composer and singer, Julia Somerville is a multi-talented musician. She performs with effortless poise, transforming any event into a relaxed and sophisticated occasion. To add style and distinction to your special event, Julia offers a great wealth of repertoire: traditional, Scottish songs, celtic music, contemporary songs, popular sentimental favourites, classical music and jazz. From the cool elegance of the concert harp to the vibrant passion of the celtic harp, Julia offers music to reflect your own style.
To personalize your special event, Julia offers a song repertoire in widely varying styles: contemporary songs such as the evocative ‘Songbird,’ traditional, Scottish songs, such as the hauntingly beautiful ‘Ca’ the Yowes,’ or the timeless, popular favourites. Julia has an entrancing voice, beautifully complimented by the clear tones of the harp.
To create a unique tribute to your special occasion, Julia offers commissioned compositions. She can accommodate all styles and preferences, drawing on extensive experience and an impressive track record. Julia has studied composition at postgraduate level with leading experts, including internationally acclaimed composer, Savourna Stevenson. Her own compositions have achieved acclaim at public performances in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Described as a ‘prodigious talent’ by the Scottish Arts Council, Julia has won numerous music awards and prizes, including the prestigious Donald Dewar Arts award. She has won several valuable music scholarhips, to study harp and voice with distinguished experts at conservatories in London and Scotland. Julia has performed at prestigious venues across Scotland, including Edinburgh castle, the Balmoral and Gleneagles hotels, Floors castle, Mount Stuart, Bute, Borthwick castle and Hopetoun house.